Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Rash Crisis of 2008

For those of you that don't know, it has been punyville at the Roberts house for that past week. Two weeks ago the kids and I went to the YMCA on Tuesday and Jillian started coughing Wednesday. We went back on Thursday and Drew started running a fever Friday night. Jillian's fever started Saturday, her first fever :( and I started getting sick Sunday. Thank god my mom came down, otherwise I am sure I would have missed a lot of work. It is hard to slack on the sleep when you are sick. I assumed it was a virus and we were all going to ride it out. I think that I keep Vick's in business. BUT, Jillian started pulling on her right ear on Wednesday night. So we called Thursday morning for an appointment for Jillian and Drew (his cough was sounding rough, so why not have it checked out while we were there. Our appointment was at 1:30, if you can believe it, it was snowing again (I have the snowed out, going to scream, moving to Florida, winter blues - oh yeah). We left before 12:30 and didn't arrive at the doctors office until 1:45. Probably the worst winter driving I have ever experienced. It was sleeting, icing, snowing - pretty much pieces of make my life hell were falling out of the sky. I had to stop 4 times to clean the ice off of my wipers (once on 70 and twice on 435). Needless to say after a very scary drive we arrived at the docs and yes Jillian had a ear infection and Drew's lungs were clear. We got our antibiotic and finally headed home.After 3 doses of Amoxicillin Jillian broke out is a rash. At first I thought is was just a heat rash. It started on her neck and head, but quickly moved to her belly and back. I got a little worried. Andy is allergic to Penicillin, so I didn't know what to think. I called the handy dandy nurse's line and she informed me that 5-10% of children get an Amoxicillin rash. It is similar is appearance to an allergic reaction, but with an allergy the rash is raised, and she would be itching. That is not the only wonderful side effect of the antibiotic, it was reeking havoc on her GI system. Diarrhea like none other, which leads to horrible butt rash. She wouldn't drink her formula because her tummy hurt plus the crazy diarrhea, I was afraid she was going to get dehydrated. By Sunday I decided to not give the Amoxicillin to her, because she was so miserable. Her bottom was so raw that is looked like it could start bleeding. I called Monday morning hoping for a new antibiotic, but instead got lecture/guilt trip from the nurse for taking her off of her antibiotic for the ear infection. They wouldn't change it but gave us some suggestions for her tummy and butt. So, she is back on it and she hasn't had diarrhea, but I think her tummy still hurts. She did a lot of crying today. Poor baby.
She is even adorable when she is miserable.
A side note on the Vick's and the massive quantities we have gone through lately. My mother says if you put Vicks on your feet and then socks it will keep you from coughing. I have not tried it, but keep in mind my dad calls her the witch doctor. Try it out.
Thank you Brooke for looking at pictures and giving us advice. Saturday night we were a little panicky. I didn't want to give her anymore in case it was an allergy and she had trouble breathing that night. Needless to say she did fine.

1 comments:

Vito and Gina said...

I cannot get over Jillian's resemblance to Andy! I used to think Drew looked just like him but no, it is Jillian!

I have heard the Vicks-on-your-feet-with-socks thing too - just a couple of weeks ago a DJ was talking about it and swearing that it works.